Here I am, fashionably late to the viral TikTok Pasta trend. Honestly, I was extremely hesitant to try this Baked Feta Pasta because (1) I’m not a fan of feta cheese to begin with, and (2) TikTok is known for over-hyping everything; but after seeing the video for the umpteenth time on TikTok, I caved. I had to find out for myself if it was really worth it. So, here’s my review of the Viral TikTok Pasta Trend:
Long story short, YES. It is worth the hype.
I had to visit three different grocery stores to find a block of Greek Feta Cheese, because it has been SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE – no doubt thanks to the millions of other people also trying this #TikTok trend. Here’s the Original Recipe by Liemessä that I used for inspo.
For my version of the Baked Feta Pasta, I made a few alterations, and the result was exquisite👩🍳.
|4 servings||0 hours 45 minutes|
- 12oz Farfalle Pasta
- 21oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 8oz Block Greek Feta Cheese
- 12oz Peeled & Deveined Small Shrimp (optional)
- Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Basil (preferably fresh leaves, but I used flakes)
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium baking dish, add the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves, and place the block of feta cheese in the middle of the tomato mixture.
- Pour olive oil over the feta cheese and tomato mixture until everything is well coated.
- Season well with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme and basil.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 400° until the tomatoes are bursting.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in a medium pot according to cooking instructions and set aside. (Tip: Save 1/2 cup of the pasta water)
- OPTIONAL: Cook shrimp in a medium pan on high heat, stirring in garlic powder, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and parsley for about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir in 2tbsp of cold butter, stirring for about 3 minutes until the butter melts into a thick sauce and shrimp are pink.
- After baking, mash the block of feta cheese and mix with the tomato mixture. Stir in the cooked pasta and pasta water to the cheese-tomato mixture. Stir in fresh basil, add a zest of lemon, mix and enjoy.
I absolutely loved this pasta, and I’ll definitely do it again! I’ll even eat it without the extra additions, like shrimp, because the pasta really was tasty on its own.
The entire preparation process was SUPER easy, relatively quick and affordable! It seems almost too-good-to-be-true, but in reality, it lives up to the hype.
If you like your food well flavored, then adding the additional seasonings like Italian seasoning, oregano, and thyme, in addition to the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, are a great idea. Also, I HIGHLY suggest sticking to the recommended portion size for the feta cheese, because too much can give it a salty, almost bitter taste.
Like this post? Leave some love in the comments below, and subscribe to be notified for future blog posts.
Tag me on Instagram if you do try making this TikTok inspired Baked Feta Pasta.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.